Sunday, April 7, 2013

Seeing the Expected

I recently made a pretty random decision to move to Madison, Wisconsin from Fond du Lac.  Because of my vision and location and limits to my driving it has been hard to find a job in Fond du Lac so I have been living of some savings and just getting by.  A friend in the Madison area recently had her fiance move to California leaving her to take care of the house and a herd of animals.  This opened up some doors for me to escape what I was feeling to be a toxic and depressing location for me.  So long story short I packed up my animals and a few belongings and moved in.

My list of things I would like to see before going blind are usually very beautiful or just simply amazing, however there are hundreds of little things we see each day that when you stop to analyze are just as great.

For instance, I attended a the Black Earth town meeting to discuss the community concerns with expanding the street width and installing sidewalks on both sides.  It sounds silly but to be a part of a group of people debating over the life of their pine trees and standing up to protect their green space was visually stimulating. Then there was a trip to Woodmans, a grocery store in the area. To the normal person not facing a life of darkness in their near future, this is just a crowded grocery store.  To me though it was a beautiful display of produce, still in boxes because it sells so quickly here. An organic food section bigger than some stores, and eccentric people of all types gathered together for the common purpose of shopping. I guess you could say I was like a kid in the candy store, stimulated by all the vibrant colors.

Being from Wisconsin, I'm accustomed to seeing farm land but even a simple dirt field can be a beautiful landscape.  Silos and barns of various shapes and sizes, old farmhouses still inhabited by ancestors of the men who built them a hundred years prior.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so driving by a farm is like creating a short story in your head about its history and maybe even its future.

The point of this entry is that although I dream of seeing the Red Rocks and Killer Whales and Lantern Shows, I also want to continue seeing the little things in life we all take for granted. Until people start writing in braille on bathroom walls, there is always something to look forward to seeing no matter where you go. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment